Wednesday, April 27, 2016

You Can Study Abroad in Law School??

By Emily Bolton

Some of the main factors in my decision to attend UConn Law were its diverse opportunities for studying abroad and its strong program in international law. There were many indications that UConn would be a great fit for the next step in my education, but when I learned of UConn’s strong exchange programs established with over a dozen universities located throughout the world, I was sold.

During my second year at UConn, I thoroughly researched each of the study abroad options and ultimately (and very eagerly!) decided to spend my spring semester at Leiden University, in the Netherlands. In brief, spending a semester abroad was the most rewarding decision that I have made during law school. I established incredible contacts worldwide, received instruction at one of the most prestigious and oldest universities in Europe, made many lifelong friends, and lived in an amazingly beautiful and fun country.

When my friends first found out that I was spending a semester of law school in a beautiful city just fifteen minutes south of Amsterdam, their first reaction was almost always, “you can do that in law school?!” Not only is it possible, it is downright advisable, and not just for those interested in pursuing a career in international law. Studying abroad is an incredible way to broaden your perspective on any field of law. I was able to choose from a wide array of courses – everything from human rights law to corporate law to data protection law – all of which were applicable to my studies back home. The lectures and ensuing discussions with my foreign classmates challenged my own views and encouraged me to think outside of what I had previously accepted as the norm. Furthermore, upon returning to UConn’s campus the following semester, I was able to contribute an interesting perspective to class discussions at home.

Studying abroad also provided several important professional opportunities that I would never have had access to otherwise. While studying in the Netherlands, I completed a research project, comparing EU law to U.S. law, and I made several European contacts that helped advise me throughout the project. I was invited to present the research at a UN conference in Switzerland at the end of the semester, and my research “note” is going to be published in the Connecticut Journal of International Law this spring. Furthermore, my Dutch professors and the contacts that I made through the research project have offered invaluable advice for attaining my future goal of entering the international job market.

As one can imagine, my learning experiences were not limited to the classroom. Some of the most interesting and influential conversations that I had with my foreign classmates occurred over cappuccinos on local cafĂ© terraces, during weekend trips to Belgium for beer tastings, and while riding bikes through the Netherlands’ infamous tulip gardens. Over a year later, I am still very close with my Dutch friends, and I look forward to visiting them again later this year.

UConn’s exceptional international exchange program has made studying abroad in law school a very realistic opportunity. Studying abroad has had an undoubtedly positive impact on my legal education, and I am certain that the experience will continue to pay off as I develop my career as a lawyer.