Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Seminar Classes

By Allison Roso

It took me an inexplicably long time to decide what to right this post about.  As I mulled it over...and over, I realized that part of what was perpetuating my “brainstorming” was sheer procrastination.  Procrastination from what?  Oh, that would be the 30 page paper I have to write for one of my seminar classes.  After this realization, I decided that it would then be appropriate to talk about seminar classes.  That justifies my procrastination a little bit, right?
           
Seminars are small, discussion-based classes that only have around 18 students.  Rather than the typical large lectures that will comprise almost all of your first year, seminars are much more focused on interaction with the professor, with your fellow students, and with the material.  This will depend on the professor, of course, but overall I’ve found that seminars are more of a “pressure on” experience, but in a good way.  Unlike big lectures of 70 students, you are going to get called on, you are going to talk nearly every class, and for the majority of seminars, your participation will have an impact on your grade.  The reading can also be pretty heavy at times, but seminars are usually once a week, so its manageable if you start early (or even if you don’t).
          
It might seem like I haven’t really said anything to convince you to take a seminar, but I really cannot recommend them enough.  Aside from being a refreshing change from the lecture-style classroom, the topics are diverse, interesting, and force you to think in a different way than the black letter law classes.  Professors usually have the opportunity to create seminars based on their own interests and passions, so you are usually in able company no matter what you choose to take.  Don’t hesitate to take something that sounds really appealing to you because you’re afraid that it doesn’t conform to the “typical” law school curriculum.  Believe it or not, you are allowed to have fun and enjoy law school!  Seminars give you a different perspective on the law and on the history surrounding the law.  They are also a great opportunity to let you explore an area of the law that you are curious about but don’t necessarily see yourself practicing in.

Just to give you an idea of the kinds of seminars offered at UConn Law: Critical Identity Theory; American Slavery & American Law; Human Rights and Post-Conflict Justice; Evolution of Crime Victim’s Rights; Canons of American Legal Thought; Topics in Family Law; and Rights of Persons with Disabilities.  The variety of courses changes every semester, and there is always something new to look for.  I highly recommend taking a few seminars throughout your law school career.

As for me, I suppose I should get back to my paper.  0 pages down, 30 to go...