Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Where to Go Hartford & West Hartford?


By Alexandra Cavaliere

Having lived on a farm in southern CT my whole life I never really had a chance to explore Hartford. Hartford doesn't often make the headlines for top places to visit but don't let that fool you into thinking Hartford is lacking in things to do. For me, good food and a place to show off my horrible dancing ability are the two things I look for when moving to a new place, and believe me, I found both. Hartford has become a place I go when I want a good night out with my friends or a romantic good date night. 


Over the weekend if I am looking for:
  • addictive BBQ, I go to Bears Smokehouse
  • great live music and the best beer selection I go to McLaddens or World of Beer
  • a hot spot with dancing and great cocktails I go to Nixs
  • great pizza.. well there are a ton of options: Joeys, Lunas, Harrys, Pepes and Park Lane
  • upscale farm to table goodness I go to Firebox
  • trivia, beer, pub food and bingo, I go to Half Door 
  • cool art and food I go to Tisane 
  • the very best Middle Eastern and Mediterranean food served by a local family, I go to Tangiers
  • country music and dancing I go to Rocking Horse 
  • a killer cocktail I go to Bar Taco
  • and the BEST deli around brings me to Hall's Market
When it comes to shopping, which I do more often then I should, there are a few great options in the area. The West Farm Mall in Farmington is about 15 minutes away and has your staple department stores and eateries. Blue Back Square in West Hartford offers dozens of restaurants, retailers and boutiques (often a little more high end). Finally you have the Manchester Mall. It's about 30 minutes away but offers everything and anything you could need all in one area.   

In addition to the nightlife, Hartford and West Hartford are filled with a number of great places to go including: The Mark Twain House, Bushnell Park, The Convention Center, Infinity Hall, Connecticut Science Center, Connecticut Ballet, Historical Society, Hartford Symphony and more! 

There is so much more to do in the area and it only takes talking to a student or faculty member to find out. 

Hartford: http://www.hartford.com/
West Hartford: https://www.westhartfordct.gov/things_to_do/