Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Choosing UConn

Allison Roso

“What made you choose UConn?”  It’s a question that I get a lot, especially after I tell people that I’m not from Connecticut, and really had never been here except to pass through on my way to Boston a few times.  Nevertheless, when it came time to make my decision about where I was going to spend the next three years, I found myself gravitating towards “the Constitution state” (admittedly, I had to Wiki that one).   I would also be lying if I told you I didn’t get hooked by the architecture of the buildings…

Obviously the decision of where to go is going to be different for every person, but for me, I knew that I wanted to eventually have a career in the public interest, particularly focusing on human rights.  Of the schools I had to choose from, UConn stood out to me for its strong public interest opportunities and concentrations in human rights.  The past (almost) two years have definitely justified my decision.  I’ve been able to participate with the Public Interest Law Group, find internship opportunities, and really get to know the fantastic network that is built into the school and the community.  I’ve also had the opportunity to take a wide array of courses that I’m actually interested in, and at the same time, pursue a graduate certificate in human rights.

The location of the school is great, within the city, the state, and the east coast.  Being so close to downtown Hartford gives students, myself included, a plethora of opportunities to find internships, externships, and pro bono work.  Another plus is the fact that Connecticut is such a small state and the school is so centrally located that you really aren’t limited to staying close to school.  I volunteered with the Connecticut Veterans Legal Center in West Haven during my first year, and worked with Connecticut Legal Services in Willimantic during my first summer.  The school is also central to both Boston and New York.

But I’m sure you didn’t read this for me to teach you geography.  I think one of the most significant things about UConn Law, which wasn’t even one of the major reasons I chose to come, is the amazing network of alumni both at the school, and around the community.  Everywhere I have interned, I have met another UConn Law graduate, and it is fantastic to have the opportunity to build strong connections in such a close-knit network.  My undergrad had 25,000 students, plus the graduate students.  I knew that I wanted something different, where I could actually get to know a larger percent of my peers.  The small size of the school has allowed me to make significant and meaningful connections with other students, professors, and employers.  Of course, hindsight is always 20/20, but what I know now about UConn Law just reaffirms the decision I made.